If you only remember ONE Chapter of this EBook, remember this one!
going to speak very plainly in this Chapter, so please don't take anything I
say personally. Remember, I fell for a couple of
Scams myself, years ago, so if I'm picking on anyone, it's my "former self". :o)
What I'm going to tell you is the Truth. The Truth isn't always pretty, but it needs to be known!
There are TWO Business Worlds out there.
1. The Dreamer's Business World
2. The REAL Business World
If you really want to make money on the Internet, you're going to have to put down the Teddy Bear and pack away the Jammies, Peter and Wendy. You must leave Never-Never Land, and enter the Real Business World.
In the Dreamer's Business World:
· All you have to do is make a few "Easily Affordable Payments", and your Internet Store will magically appear with virtually no effort on your part.
· Your Personal Business Mentor will leap out of bed in the middle of the night and come racing to your side every time you have the slightest question.
· Tinkerbell the Fairy will dance out across the globe and gently waft millions of customers to your web site on fluffy clouds of cash.
· Everybody on Earth only wants to buy one kind of product: cheap, imported, off-brand Junk.
· You will always be able to offer the best prices on Earth for anything you sell online, and nobody will be able to beat you in competition.
That's the Dreamer's Business World.
There are tens of thousands of people trapped there in Never-Never Land RIGHT NOW.
If you'd like to join them, find yourself an "Instant Internet Business" infomercial on TV; fall asleep in front of the tube, and dream. Captain Hook and his Pirates will be more than happy to show you the way to "Never-Never Land". Just be warned that when you awaken from that fantasy world, your hard-earned money will be gone, and you will have nothing to show for it.
Now let's talk about the Real Business World.
In the Real Business World:
· Get-Rich-Quick Schemes do not work. PERIOD.
· If something seems too good to be true, it IS too good to be true.
· Don't expect anyone to hold your hand or wipe your brow for you. That's the favorite method of the Scam Artist. While he's holding your hand and wiping your brow, he's lifting your wallet. Be prepared to WORK and LEARN.
· If you're in a really big hurry to make a lot of money, you should not be starting a business. You should be searching your family tree for a really old, really rich relative to be VERY nice to.
The Real Business World is not for wimps. It involves work, persistence, patience, and an ability to listen & learn. It's not a place where you can stamp your feet and yell "Hey, no fair!", or "If you don't stop that, I'm not going to play anymore!"
There will be bumps in the road. If you're not willing to ride them out, you shouldn't bother getting started in the first place.
However, the rewards you reap in the Real Business World are more than equal to the work you put in. This is how REALLY successful people actually BECOME really successful!
I started out in the Dreamer's Business World myself. Reality was a rude awakening, but one that I needed. I would not be supporting my family in a very comfortable manner right now, with only my income from my Internet businesses, if I hadn't joined the real business world.
Everybody who starts out in business wants to succeed. There are some who already know what needs to be done. However, there are a large number of people who either have the wrong ideas from the start, or they've been fed the wrong ideas over time (from watching too many infomercials). Then of course, there are those few who are just plain lazy, and want something for nothing.
I hear from people who fall into all those categories on almost a daily basis. Let's take a look at some of them.
Below are some examples of types of Emails I've gotten over the years, from people who want to start a Home-based Internet Business. After all this time, I can pretty much tell you, from the very first Email I get from someone, who I think is likely to succeed in the Real Business World, and who is likely to fail. I've done a little analysis of each email, to show you what I mean.
I have been reading over your site for the past week with great interest. Thanks so much for the free info; it helped me clear
up many of the questions I had!
know the basics of my computer, but I have never done any retail sales. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to sell on
Auctions, or to build a web site. Maybe both!
It's better to be flexible and sell what sells, not just what we like. So I've been going through EBay, and doing some checking
in (an Internet Mall), doing research on the level of competition for different outdoor products to see which ones I could sell
effectively, or if I might need to find something else to sell.
Why do I give her 98% chance of success? Is it because she thanked me for some free info? No, of course not. Whether she
got her info from me or anybody else, it's what she's doing with it that matters.
where she finds information, she READS it. I've seen far too many people who Email me and ask questions when the
answers were right there in front of them, on the HOME PAGE of my site. They don't bother to read beyond the first
paragraph. BIG mistake. Those people are going to keep leaping without bothering to look, and that's a major downfall.
write me and tell me about their grand plans for building an Internet Mega-Store that will carry every product in the known
universe or how they plan on starting out by building four stores first, then ten more.
out slowly, get your feet wet, learn along the way, and be patient, but persistent. That's how successful businesspeople get
to be successful businesspeople!
who will never admit that they don't know something. They simply bull their way around, making up what they don't know.
Another BIG mistake. Never be afraid to admit your lack of knowledge about something. The ONLY "stupid question" is
the one you have, but never ask.
the next bit:
to find something else to sell."
ACTED on it!
listened to ME. It doesn't matter that it happened to be my info; the fact is that she read, she took time to understand, and
then she put it into action. That's how a successful person operates.
presentation, and convinced me to sign up with them. They offered all kinds of things. A site, a personal business coach,
credit card acceptance, and lots more. The first payment wasn't so bad, but now every time I talk to them they tell me I have
to invest more money in order to get this thing going. I hate to admit that I have now spent several thousand dollars with
them, and still am not any closer to making money. My site looks terrible, the products they have on it are the same as so
many other sites and my business coach seems to get more irritated with me every time I call and ask for help.
having to 'get legal', and now I know why. They are one of the middlemen you talk about.
Ok, this poor guy has been trapped in Never-Never Land. It happens to a LOT of people. It happened to ME, years ago!
Captain Hook and his Pirates are VERY good at what they do; it's not a crime to fall victim to them. They are
EVERYWHERE and they make the whole thing sound just wonderful at first.
realized he was in trouble, and needed to DO something about it. That's a good thing. Many people will just sit there and
let the Pirates bleed them dry completely, then just go home with nothing left and quit.
"I'm angry at these Scam Artists", but he didn't. He knows that the burden was on him to investigate the business he was
starting. He realizes that he let himself get swept away by a slick presentation, but he's not stamping his feet and yelling "No
fair!” He's taking responsibility, picking up the pieces and moving on.
action. Excellent. :o)
success and only giving him a 90%?
still wish that were true. He may get more easily frustrated with the realities of business after listening to all those false
promises about how simple life was going to be.
minds that longs for it to be true, even though intellectually we know it's not.
paid so much for, as long as they will allow him to place his own products (from REAL Wholesale Suppliers he finds in our Directory or on his own) on the site.
I need one product at a time, not a lot I have to keep at my house. Do the companies you have send one at a time to my
customers? Send me more info, and I might get your Product if I like what I see.
This is a good example of someone who is not ready for the Real Business World.
· He doesn't pay attention. The answer to his question is on the HOME PAGE of my site, in BOLD, very near the top.
· He obviously did not take the time to read even a couple of paragraphs.
· He's lazy. I take great care to explain the Directory in detail on my web site. The fact that he'd rather try to force me to re-explain everything to him in an email tells me that he just doesn't have the ambition to read something for himself, and that's a bad habit.
· Lousy communication skills. Note that there's no "Salutation" at the beginning of the Email. He (or she; I can't tell
from the email!) doesn't even bother to say "Hi!”
that way sometimes, to friends, and people I already know. However, it looks unprofessional in business.
If you're going to speak to someone, do you just walk up to them and start spouting your first sentence? No!
You get their attention, usually by saying "Excuse me", or just "Hello".
you correspond with could make or break your business! If you do that, your business correspondence will always impress, and never damage your business. You don't have to demean yourself in any way. Just be
· He's rude. "I might get your Product if I like what I see." In other words, I had better bend over backwards to please
him, and maybe he'll bestow this favor on me. To me, it honestly doesn't matter. I don't care if he's rude; I've seen a
lot of rude people. But, this is important: When you're starting out in the Real Business World, you don't go around
making rude demands of other people. You're the "new kid on the block", and if you act badly, eventually you're going
to be rude to the wrong person.
Supplier that is right for him, he's got nowhere else to go. They have plenty of other customers, and they will not hesitate
to tell him to get lost.
When I wrote to the company's general manager and asked why they had stopped drop shipping, this is the reply she sent:
eagerness to 'grab the dream'. 1) People fail to do proper research, and 2) People believe that the dream is automatic
and requires no work. On the first, we get enquiries from sites that target, for example, sporting or computer equipment, not
even the kind of products WE sell. They don't even bother to go to our Policies page or check out the product lines we
handle. On the second, too many people expect things to happen with little work on their end; i.e., that we should do
their work for them.
to put in your site. Also, I have had people call and tell me that they have already added our products to their site and I have no idea who they are..."
unprofessional attitudes, like the guy who wrote Email #3.
So, I suppose I've blustered and bellowed long enough on this subject, and I should wrap this Chapter up. :o) Here's a quick recap:
· For those who don't want to do the work to really succeed, a Get-Rich-Quick Infomercial is only as far away as your TV Remote Control. Sweet Dreams.
· If someone tells you they'll hold your hand throughout your whole business start-up, make sure your OTHER hand has a tight grip on your wallet.
· Don't expect to make a lot of money overnight, ANYWHERE! Real success takes time, and a solid foundation to build on. Walk before you run!
· Be willing to listen and learn! There IS good information out here. You'll be able to tell what's good, and what's TOO good to be true.
· Treat people with respect! You never know when you might be emailing someone who could give you your next big break!
The Real Business World is the most exciting place you'll ever go. Watching your business begin to grow and become successful is an absolute thrill ride, equal to none other that I've ever experienced. It's worth the work, every minute of it. Don't let the Scam Artists cheat you out of that.